Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

An introduction to the blog and The Skeptical Okie

Hello kiddos.   
     Nothing serious or too in depth today, especially seeing as this is blog post #1.  Hopefully I'll have a podcast up and going soon, and when that happens I'll let you know.  Mostly this blog will be the introduction to me, myself, and what I hope we can accomplish.  I live in a relatively rural part of Oklahoma, and for the longest time, I was the only skeptic/atheist that I knew.  Most of my friends and family are either southern baptist or Methodist.  I am in the process of starting a skeptical group in Oklahoma, and hopefully have at least a loose affiliation with the James Randi Educational Foundation and the Grassroots Skeptics.  Through this blog, I'll be talking about various logical fallacies that we may encounter everyday, and how best to argue against them.  Maybe debate would be a better word.  Argue just seems too argumentative.  Anyway, I'll also be mentioning and discussing any odd or interesting scientific research that grabs my attention for longer than 5 seconds.  If it's an article that says "Pork fat may cause obesity"  I probably won't mention it.  If it says "Pork fat may prevent cancer."  I'll probably talk about it, and evaluate it with a skeptical mind.  I know that there are lots of blogs out there that are going to be similar to this one, including the 4,296 new ones that have probably gone up while I was writing this one, but I hope to keep it a little unique and fresh by not getting too bogged down in a technical discussion and trying to keep it some what humorous.  I'll also have personal observations, and more than likely, a few meandering rants before returning to the topic.  Speaking of which, I went to the Science Museum Oklahoma (us old folks still call it the Omniplex) today with my wife and son.  Granted it was pouring outside, with a hell of a lightning show on top of it, and most of the people there may have originally been going to the OKC zoo next door (literally next door, they share parking spaces.) but the building was packed.  On previous trips, the place was pretty much empty.  You know when you walk into someones house and they get that surprised look on their face that says "What are you doing here?"  That's normally the look we would get from the employees.  Today however, it was packed!  Adults and kids running from exhibit to exhibit working buttons, reading the info cards, sometimes the parents were explaining the exhibit to their kids, sometimes the kids were doing the explaining.  For those that don't know, SMO (as they abbreviate Science Museum Oklahoma (and I don't usually like acronyms) is a very hands on type of museum, with most of the exhibits geared towards the youngish set.  Think 4 to about 15.  But it is still a lot of fun for adults too, and if you get a chance, check it out.  But anyway, the point is, I was ecstatic to see so many people at least appearing to be interested in what the SMO was about.  It gives me hope for the state.  Like I said, this is the first of probably many posts I'm going to do, I just figured to keep this one short and more or less to the point, not because I've run out of things to say, trust me, give me a topic and some time to research, and I can go on.  I'll try to put these out on Saturday or Sunday night, and if you like it, let me know.  Also, like I said, I'm working on starting a skeptical group , and yes I know that there is the Oklahoma Atheists and a group in Tulsa, but I'm doing this because 1) I prefer a broader mindset than just atheism, and 2) Tulsa is awful far to drive from here.  Not lazy, just I'd be spending more in gas than I do on the mortgage.  So, hope to hear from people soon, and remember, if it sounds too good to be true, a politician probably said it!

No comments:

Post a Comment